Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, February 7, 2013

People in your neighborhood: Maggie O'Neill

Football Picture for Mandee.JPG

She may work in financial aid collections, but Maggie O'Neill is all about giving.

For Maggie, making a difference is a priority. She lives by the Latin phrase, Non scholae, sed vitae discimus, which means "We do not learn for the school, but for life," and bases her goodwill around the actions of Mother Teresa.

"I feel very blessed and like to give others similar opportunities," Maggie said. "I couldn't live with myself if I thought I didn't make a difference or give back enough."

Maggie is dedicated to giving back in anyway she can. When she was younger, someone volunteered for her Girl Scout troop by cooking at various events. She decided to continue that legacy.

"I donate my time and cooking services to the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts troops at encampments in the Minnesota and Wisconsin area," Maggie said. "I cook everything from scratch and I help kids learn how to make things like bread and cinnamon rolls. It's my way of paying it forward."

Not only does Maggie give back in her free time, but she also pays it forward at work. For five years, Maggie has been in Student Account Assistance as a Principal Collections Representative. And, though it may sound like she's all serious business, she views her job as less of a collections agent and more of an adviser and loan coach to students.

"Yes, we're collectors, but we don't pick up the phone and bark at people to pay their bill," Maggie said. "It's hard to admit that you need help when you get off track financially. We advise students on their rights and responsibilities and help them get back on track."

The aspect of Maggie's job that she is most proud of is her work on the new online Exit Counseling. She joined the project last January, after many issues pushed the launch off for a couple of years. After streamlining multiple processes, the new system launched in July 2012.

When Maggie is not at work or volunteering, she enjoys spending time with her family. She has been married for 27 years to her husband Mike. She has two kids, Caitlin and Kevin. Her daughter just received her master's in deaf education from Smith College & Clarke School for Hearing and Speech and her son is currently enrolled at the University of St. Thomas majoring in physics. For 30 years, Maggie has lived in her current city of Bloomington. Maggie also loves to cook and garden. She has a huge vegetable and flower gardens.

Prior to coming to the University, Maggie worked a few accounting and human resources jobs. Despite her experience in accounting, Maggie initially started at the U as an undergraduate student in the Occupational Therapy program while working accounting jobs to pay for school. A few semesters shy of her degree, Maggie decided to take a job in accounting.

Though she still has a passion for the health sciences field, she likes where she is at. "At the end of the day, if I can look at myself in the mirror and honestly say, "Today I did my best, whatever that best may be, I made a difference, then it's been a great day and that's all I need."

Magnanimous Maggie:
1. Maggie's favorite book is Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott.
2. Neil Diamond was her first concert.
3. She loves the movie Casablanca.
4. Maggie loves big band era music because she loves to dance.
5. If she could be anyone for a day, she would be Carol Burnett to make people laugh.
6. For Halloween one year, Maggie and her roommates debated between going as a six-pack of beer or a bag of jelly beans. They picked the latter.
7. Maggie says that people may be surprised to know that she is painfully shy. "I worked to overcome my shyness, but it's still hard to get up and talk in front of a group."
8. Maggie has always been fascinated by the health sciences field.
9. Her most interesting job is when she worked for the international engineering firm that created the recordable CD.
10. She loves Italian food.


No comments:

Post a Comment