For fun, we did a Q&A and they each shared personal tidbits about running. Next time you pass Amber or Stacia in the halls, give them a high five for their accomplishments!
Q: Why do you like running?
Amber: Running is my stress relief. It's the best way for me to get out of my head and clear my mind when there's a lot going on. There is also a really great community when it comes to running.
Stacia: Because I get to eat more food! I run for bacon! (Seriously, I do!) I continue to run to feel empowered, accomplished, and a bada$$!
Q: When and why did you start running long distance, or have you always?
Amber: I started running about 3 1/2 years ago and did it initially as a way to get in shape. My first race was a 5k through the Minnesota Brewery Running series, because beer. That same year I did the Twin Cities 10 mile and that is what hooked me on distance running. Being a part of the marathon weekend and running part of the marathon course was exhilarating (and exhausting). Part of distance running, for me, is the challenge and testing my limits.
Q: What kind of training do you do for these races?
Amber: Oy. The training. It's soooo time consuming. I started training in April through my gym's run club doing speed drills and hills along with strength training and then got into my marathon training program at the beginning of June. I run 3-4 times a week and then cross-train (yoga, strength training, etc.) on the days I'm not running. I've never skipped a weekend long run (ranging 8-20 miles during the training), but mid-week runs were a bit more lax...due to laziness and not wanting to get up at 4am to run. :)
Q: What does it feel like when you're done with a race?
Amber: Sweaty and sometimes sore. Also, accomplished.
Stacia: Running is not easy! No matter how many times I run, the first 10 minutes are always hard. But each run is an opportunity to persevere and challenge me to do more than I think I can. No matter how bad a run is, I always feel like I have accomplished something. This year I completed a 50K (31ish miles) trail race, a marathon, 1/2 marathon, and a trail RAGNAR in Wisconsin. I had doubts about my ability to complete each of those events, but after completing the 50K, I felt like I could do anything.
Q: What running shoes do you wear? Give geeky details.
Amber: I've changed up my running shoes a bit over the last three years trying to find the right one. Right now I'm bouncing between Saucony and New Balance. I prefer a neutral shoe with a wide toe-box and not a ton of cushion. I really like to feel the road when I'm running. My feet probably don't appreciate it, but it makes me feel more connected.
Q: Headphones or no headphones?
Amber: No headphones! I joke that I like to listen to the sound of my labored breathing while I run. Also, for safety reasons, it's best to not wear headphones so that you are more aware of your surroundings. I do a lot of running in the street and do my best to not get hit by cars/bikers.
Last words:
Amber: There's a really great community when it comes to running. I've been fortunate to meet a lot of great people through run clubs and there's a lot of support and encouragement. I don't always like running. There are times when it feels like a chore and I have to do a lot of self talk to get myself out the door, but in the end, I very rarely regret lacing up my shoes and running.
Stacia: The hours of training and pain are made easier by the support and community of runners and others who I get to run with and who continually inspire me. Thank you to all who have supported me and asked me about how a race went over this past year.


Impressive!!! Fun article, you two make running a marathon sound easy and fun!
ReplyDelete-Cathy Schuster
Great Q&A. Fun!
ReplyDelete