Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Supporting student success: Financial Wellness Workshops

In collaboration with OSF, the One Stop Student Services Financial Wellness committee is hosting a series of 6 workshops for first-year new high school students and first-year new advanced standing students. Students who take part will be entered into a drawing to win one of fourteen $1000 scholarships! Students can also schedule one-on-one financial wellness meetings for an additional entry. We emailed NHS and NAS students today to invite them to the workshops.

The workshops educate students on budgeting, loans and credit, finding scholarships, and will enable them to make informed financial decisions. From our post-workshop survey, we heard that 100% of students said past workshops were helpful and 96% said they learned something new about finances. From fall 2018 scholarship winners:

"Because of this award, I will not have to borrow as much money as I previously thought. It feels a lot better to know that I don't have as much pressure on myself to get and pay back loans than before. I'm very glad that I was lucky enough to win this award, and that the U has great programs like this to help undergrads learn things they don't in a regular classroom."

"This award has made a huge impact on how I am able to pay for college this year it saved me from taking a loan for the fall semester."

No comments:

Post a Comment