Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Update from Stacey

This week I have a lot on my brain: we are starting work on our budget proposals for FY24, which will be my major work focus for the next few weeks. We also have many positions open, so there are lots of staff planning initiatives and some hiring committees spinning up. On a personal note, I'm thinking about higher education as well. My eldest son is a senior, and we have started the college visit process. In fact, he will be touring the University of Minnesota tomorrow afternoon, and I'll get to view the University as "just" a parent. I've promised not to embarrass him, at least not deliberately.

In this process, I've also been playing impromptu college counselor for his friend group. The kids are stressed! It has been nice to reassure this group of young people that their GPAs are good and test optional can provide some advantages. We've talked about how to balance their dreams with the financial realities of education, and I've emphasized looking at 4-year graduation rates for colleges they are interested in. Thank you for helping make this place somewhere I'm proud to encourage these high schoolers to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment