I believe ASR and other University members have created a solid fall reopening plan for students, staff, and faculty. All of you played a significant part in this, and I am proud of the work we have done in collaboration with many others across the University system. However, I also understand the concern leadership has, and so we will pivot for the first two weeks of the term. I want to thank all of you for keeping your stamina even when it is tough.
You are juggling so many items at the moment in your work, personal lives, and what continues to occur in our communities. Many of you are trying to understand how to stay safe, prepare for educating your children, and continue to learn of disturbing racial injustice. I was so disappointed to learn one of our students was involved in the defacing of the George Floyd mural, and now to see the situation in Kenosha, Wisconsin is truly disheartening. I am saddened by the recent shooting of Jacob Blake. We grieve with his family and the community.
We also continue to call for police reform and accountability and to denounce systemic racism. We encourage you to speak to your family, friends, coworkers, and community about ways we can continue to heal our system, so it can support all of its citizens and keep them safe. The newly formed ASR DEI Community of Practice is available to anyone in ASR, and we encourage you to share your thoughts and feelings during this time in that space.
No comments:
Post a Comment