Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, January 14, 2021

ASR Staff Engagement January 14th Survey

As we close out the old year and head into 2021, this week’s ASR Staff Engagement survey offers an opportunity to reflect a little on 2020. What have we accomplished? What are we most proud of? Visit the ASR Staff Engagement Survey 1/14/2021 to provide your insights. Thank you for continuing to share your stories and experiences.

The results from the Dec 17th survey revealed that following a regular schedule, which includes sufficient sleep and getting outside every day, has been the most beneficial for staying motivated and exercising during the pandemic. Some of us did admit we are finding it a bit more difficult to get in our exercise, but many shared ideas on what works for them. These tips include everything from scheduling time, to finding a workout buddy, such as a dog, a spouse, or some sort of screen support. The specific results from the last survey are available below.

December 17, 2020 survey results

Which of these will you consider to help you thrive while WFH during this Pandemic Winter? Ordered by greatest response:
  • I will commit to a regular schedule, including lots of sleep.
  • I will get outside every day - no matter how cold or snowy!
  • Other
  • I will remember to do one small thing each day that brings me joy.
  • I will stay connected, switch video meetings to other mediums like a phone call a couple of times a week.
  • I will reflect on and note my accomplishments at the end of each day.
Check out the short article, “Wondering How You’ll Get Through a Pandemic Winter? Try These 9 Tips to Stay Connected and Motivated,” by Marina Khidekel to learn more about staying motivated.

Are you finding it more difficult to get your exercise in?
  • 64% Yes
  • 36% No
Dana Santas’s article, “5 exercises to offset too much sitting,” includes some simple stretches and exercises to try at home.

Please share your tips on what really works for you to get your exercise in:
  • I find that actually scheduling an appointment time helps me exercise. It's as if I am scheduling time to go to the health club!
  • I need to set a time 4 days a week and pick a TV show that's good for cycling!
  • I work out during what was normally my commute time in the morning. I love morning workouts, and I'm very glad to be able to get back into that while working from home.
  • I belong to a small gym community that has virtual, outdoor (distanced), and small (distanced and masked) indoor classes. For me, the social motivation to be around others helps me to get my exercise in.
  • I sign up for online zoom classes offered through my gym. That way I feel like I have a commitment to honor and am less likely to skip it.
  • Finding someone to exercise with to help hold me accountable! It is easier to go outside when it is cold and gloomy when there is another person to encourage you to go.
  • Setting up mini challenges with friends in Virgin Pulse app, finding those 10 min Youtube workout videos that you can sneak in, taking time and just stretching for 10 mins, and now that gyms are open - go back to seeing my trainer twice a week!
Building a fitness routine is often one of the best ways to stay motivated regarding exercise. Cari Wira Dineen’s article,“8 Ways to Start a Fitness Routine You Can Stick With,” includes eight different ways to form a fitness routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment