Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lessons learned at the ASR staff appreciation event

By: Marcia DeGaetano

I arrived later than I hoped to the ASR staff appreciation event and walked into a sea of crowded tables at The Library Bar. I thought to myself that I would be lucky to find a seat when I spotted a table with three lovely ladies, two who I did not know, and one empty seat. I asked the group if I could sit with them.

During the raffle, in between trying to remember our ticket numbers and straining to hear Ingrid's enthusiastic calling of the numbers, I resigned myself to not really caring if I received a prize as we had decided to get to know each other. A prize in and of itself. But, then I heard Ingrid announce that the DVD player was the next prize. I chuckled and said, "Oh.. but I would like that prize.” My son and I had just recently had a conversation about needing to purchase one if we wanted to watch our favorite holiday movies together.

The number was called and, low and behold, the winning ticket belonged to one of the women sitting at my table who I had just met. When she returned to the table, prize in hand, she handed me the DVD player! I tried to resist her generosity, but she insisted. I was extremely touched. I handed her my raffle ticket and wished her luck. The very next number called was that ticket! So, what are the lessons you ask? You decide! There is more than one. Thanks, again, Val!

2 comments: