A few days ago, I overheard my son talking to a friend about a game they’ve been developing this summer. He enthusiastically told his friend “I have a really cool idea.” He wasn’t bragging, but he was genuinely excited about his creative idea and sharing it with a friend. (So far, the idea involves a lot of minifigures and paint taking over our dining room table.)
It struck me that adults are not very good at this. We often downplay or doubt our ideas even though we might be really pleased or excited. How often do you share your ideas with your colleagues with real enthusiasm? Are you playing down your own good ideas? I hope not -- I hope this is a place where you can share ideas and collaborate with your colleagues to make them even stronger.
One recent example in ASR is that our ASR DEI committee developed draft DEI Hiring Principles and presented them to the ASR Directors and Supervisors meetings. I can tell that their work is the result of creative energy and bravely talking through challenging topics. This is going to benefit our organization and give us better direction in how we approach recruitment and hiring, and I look forward to sharing them more widely soon. ASR is full of creative energy and enthusiasm for making a positive difference in students’ lives; I really hope you can share these ideas, and support your colleagues in doing so.
No comments:
Post a Comment